Friday, June 5, 2015

The General Epistle of Samuel (my final epistle)

                                  

I never thought we would get to this point. A lot of mixed emotions. At zone meeting I was hit hard with the reality of it all. Every zone meeting the missionaries who will be going home bear their testimony to the group. I went first and held it together pretty well. Once Elder Rae started to bear his and get all misty eyed that was the beginning of the end for me. I was doing well during Elder Smiths testimony but as we sang the closing hymn all the memories of my mission came flooding back. I think I made it through the first verse and then I lost it completely. I sobbed through the other four verses of "If You Could Hie to Kolob." 

I recently was reading the story of Elder Heber C. Kimball before he departed from his first mission to England. He visited two villages, for the last time just before he left, where he was met with great success, Chatburn and Downham. It was an emotional event for him to leave many whom he'd come to love dearly as he strengthened them in the gospel of Christ. Some of his words illustrate my feelings for this country and the regions where I've served. "...I was constrained to take off my hat, for I felt as if the place was holy ground. The Spirit of the Lord rested down upon me..." He continues later on and writes of how he has to leave the road many times to wash his face because of his tears. If only there were more streams in Dover. 

I have come to love this place. The experiences had, the lessons learned, the people met and loved, and the spirit felt, is something I would never change for anything. I am grateful to so many of the lovely saints in the areas where I served, for their love and support of the work. I am especially thankful for my Saviour and his enabling power. Jacob chapter four verse seven reads, "Nevertheless, the Lord God showeth us our weakness that we may know that it is by his grace, and his great condescensions unto the children of men, that we have power to do these things." I know that the Atonement of Christ makes all things possible. Countless times I have felt it buoy me up and make me capable of His work. It is His work. "[His] yoke is easy, and [His] burden is light." As we yoke ourselves in the work of the Lord we are shoulder to shoulder with Him and consequently with one another. I love the Lord. I know that Jesus Christ lives. He is our Saviour and Redeemer. His church is restored and we are blessed to be a part of it. I love all of you and look forward to seeing your smiling faces. 

Love, 
Elder Dalton

Sent from my iPad








Good old Kent countryside





We have lunch on the seafront after district meeting every week. This
time it was raining.

Roman lighthouse built in the first century AD


Car mileage lol

Selfie with a member

No comments:

Post a Comment

Messages/Comments for Elder Dalton